Thursday, December 8, 2011

I Guess its Harder when its Honest





We live in the best country in the world. One where we will take you in..pay you for nothing..and allow you more food alottment money in a month than you could possibly eat. You don't need to work, at least not until we finish paying for you to get a free college education, and afterwards, if you still wanted to be educated and unemployed? Sure! Well, that's ok too. Sit home, collect your check, and relax, cause there's someone out there working so you don't have too.




     I grew up in a house where both my parents worked for a living. My father, who has 3 herniated discs in his back, has worked 40+ hours a week at a job that is less than accommodating. My mother, who has a non curable disease that has required many surgeries and half of her intestines to be removed, has worked up until she was no longer able. Having parents like this has taught me that you need to work for everything you get in life. I am proud to say that this is what has shaped my moral and work ethic. As a result, I am successful. I have nice things. And I have all that I have because I have worked for them.

     Over the years, I have come across so many people that are on some form of assistance. I'm not a hater. I believe the system is set up to do the right thing, but I feel like its been so abused over the years and nothing is done about it. I don't understand why 20 year olds feel it's ok to have 3 kids all under the age of 4, get welfare and get housing assistance, all the while...not working, but still getting free daycare. When in fact, I have to pay $80+ a day to put 2 kids into daycare all so I can go to work.

     I also don't understand the logic in broadcasting the fact that you spent $150 cash at the bar that weekend, as your on your way downtown to file for heap with your 3rd shut off notice. Like Hello? Really? So, you can in fact pay your heat bill, its just not a priority to you. And why should it be?

     I really don't understand how people can be so carefree about receiving money for food and in the same  sentence tell you all about how they just spent $2500 on a vacation. Im not bitter about having to work for anything, even though that might be how this is coming across. I am thankful at the fact that I am teaching my children to make an honest living. I'm grateful that I'm able to provide nice things for my family because I'm a hard worker. I know as my life goes on, I can take pride in knowing I worked for everything I have and that makes me feel good.

     I just wish other people were raised with the morals I was, or at the very least, they'd learn a lesson in being appreciative. Because the next time you go to get your $200 worth of porter house steaks... thank your local cashier...she worked that 12 hour shift so you could enjoy them.



2 comments:

  1. I'm with ya.. I started working(sorta)when I was 8.. Yea, it was helping my grandfather in his apple orchard, but it was he that gave me my appreciation for "honest hard work reaps benefits." I am thankful for that. I wonder how many people spent their entire welfare check buying stuff online during Black Friday.. Hmmm.. Oh Well.... Fancy, Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said JaeCorr, I think that those first jobs, no matter how big or how demanding are the ones that shape your ethic. You probably learned a lot about actually labor and not wanting to dissapoint someone. I wish more people could say that...
    Have a fancy day yourself!!

    ReplyDelete